XIII workshop MRAMA in Barcelona, Spain (rapid microbiology)
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB), Cerdanyola del Vallès, Spain, November 25-28, 2014
Designed for: directors and technicians of industries, consultancies and laboratories of food, and other sectors (microbiological, clinical, pharmaceutical, cosmetic, chemical, environmental, etc.); food inspectors and other government staff; university teachers and technical staff, graduate and postgraduate students; people from other research centres; etc.
Updated and detailed information: http://jornades.uab.cat/workshopmrama/en
Lecturers and lectures:
- Key-note speaker and Major lecturer: Dr. Daniel Y. C. Fung (Kansas State University, Manhattan, Kansas, USA): overview on rapid methods, automation and miniaturization in microbiology
- Mrs. Corrie Allaert Vandevenne (CREOLIA, Montpellier, France) and Dr. Cécile Lahellec (AFSSA, Maisons-Alfort, France): "Microbiology a few decades ago: implementation of quality control. Saga of salmonellas"
- Dr. Armand Sánchez Bonastre (UAB): "Polymerase chain reaction (PCR)"
- Dr. Ruth Eden (BioLumix, Inc, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA): "Considerations in the evaluation of rapid microbiological methods"
- Dr. Tadhg O'Sullivan (Heineken Supply Chain, BV, Zoeterwoude, the Netherlands): "Implementation of a rapid method in a brewery quality analysis system based on a user-friendly validated platform"
- Dr. Ferran Ribas Soler (Microbiology Spanish Society, Madrid, Spain): "Microbiology of water supply: health and ecological aspects"
- Mr. Pascal Monzó Martos (Productos Florida, SA, Vila-real, Spain): "Paradox of Campylobacter spp. in poultry and derived products: so frequent and so under-detected"
- Mr. Jon Basagoiti Azpitarte (Imagining Management Systems, SLU, Ermua, Spain): "Validity of microbiology results: do they inform you on your company's microbioma?"
- Dr. Jean-Christophe Meile (Cirad, Montpellier, France): "Tracing the origin of food using microbial ecology approaches"
- Ms. Sue Brockman (Rapid Test Methods, Ltd, Cork, Ireland): "rapidmicrobiology.com and social media resources for food microbiologists"
- Ms. Cristina Díez Fernández (Grupo Empresarial Palacios Alimentación, SA, Albelda de Iregua, Spain): "Microbiological requirements for meat product export, according to the destination country. Industrial management for their evaluation and compliance"
3-day laboratory sessions:
- sample preparation and plating
- rapid viable cell count methods
- environmental control
- chromogenic culture media
- diagnostic kits
- methods based on ATP – bioluminescence, colorimetry, fluorometry
- immunological detection methods (latex agglutination, immunoprecipitation, lateral immunomigration)
- Use of internet for applications of predictive microbiology
- Detection of allergens and quantitative screening of mycotoxins and GMOs by lateral flow
- Typical deviations in food safety system certification audits (BRC, IFS and FSSC22000)
* 2 round tables (Microbiological quality control in brewery / Instrumentation in food microbiology, world trade trends, and other current topics)
* Exhibition from 12 microbiology companies